I had the great fortune to spend last week researching in Kansas City, Missouri. I had such a great experience I thought I would share some of the sources I found so helpful. My week was filled with trips to 2 libraries, 2 city halls and 3 county courthouses! I was researching the history of two buildings on Troost Avenue in Kansas City, Missouri. I spent two full days in the Missouri Valley Special Collections Room at the Kansas City Public Library. Melissa was a great help and a cheerful voice when I got bogged down. If you have never been to the KC Library, GO NOW. It is beautiful and a wondrous resource. Keep in mind the Special Collections have different hours from the rest of the library so check the links above before you visit. Also, there are many online resources found on the websites so check them out.
I also made a trip to the Midwest Genealogy Center. No longer living in Missouri, this is a real treat for me. As usual I found what I needed with the expert assistance of the staff - even on a Sunday.
I also was amazed at the courteous and helpful staff at the Jackson County Courthouses (Independence and Kansas City) where I conducted deed and property research. Before I left for the airport I squeezed in a final and most personal search - I was able to locate my maternal grandparents marriage certificate at the Wyndotte County, KS courthouse. It couldn't have been a more perfect end to a great research trip!
I hope everyone gets to spend some quality family time this weekend!
Saturday, June 17, 2017
Here are a few of the specials running through this weekend for genealogy. If you are ready to test your DNA:
- Ancestry DNA is $79 through Sunday, June 18, 2017.
- 23andMe is $79 for Ancestry service and $179 for Health + Ancestry Service through Sunday, June 18th.
- Family Tree DNA is $69 for the Family Finder Test and $139 for the YDNA Test.
- MyHeritage is $69 for the DNA test through June 19, 2017.
- To make sure you are getting the best deal for you, check out Genealogy Bargains. They maintain a running list of coupon codes and discounts.
|DNA Image from the University of Michigan Medical School|
If you need a little help navigating all the genealogy options out there:
- FamilyTree is offering 50% off their on demand Webinars through June 20, 2017.
As always, happy hunting!