Friday, June 03, 2016

News from May

May was a crazy time for my family.  My nephew graduated from high school in Aurora, MO and is headed to Mizzou in the fall.  My brother retired after 27 awesome years of teaching high school.  Then my husband and I celebrated his BIG birthday in Hawaii.  All the events required planes, trains and automobiles, which left little time for genealogy, so I have spent the last week trying to catch up. I found a couple of newsworthy items to share.

Check Ancestry.com for recently added or updated collections.  A couple of them were jackpots for my research.  My Spencer family line represents my greatest brick wall; however; I found Elias Spencer's (G2 Grandfather) probate records (1852 & 1855) Crawford County (MO) were added to the Missouri Wills and Probate Records 1766-1988.  Not all of the records are indexed.  When I saw that Crawford County was included, I had to search page by page, but it paid off as I found part of his probate and a likely new relative named Nathaniel Spencer.

Another updated Ancestry.com database, helpful to many Missourians with German heritage is the German Immigrants 1712-1933. When looking at this page you can check out the related databases that contain specific regional German records.

Finally, some World War II draft registration cards from the fourth round in 1942 have been added. These cards often provide little known details including occupation and employer, as well as family and address information.

No comments: