Sunday, August 02, 2015

SWEETHEARTS OF CELL BLOCK B

Two women prisoners arrived at the overcrowded Missouri State Penitentiary today from Gratiot Street Military Prison in St. Louis (30 July 1865), now almost empty as the government sought to cut costs.

Unlike most of the other federal prisoners sent to Jefferson City, the women’s names are not included in the online database of penitentiary prisoners maintained by the Missouri State Archives.

The penitentiary, with cell space for 356 inmates, already held more than 600 because of the effort to empty federal military prisons to cut costs. Every prisoner being held for a set term of months or years was being moved to state custody.

LINK

No comments: