Sunday, July 13, 2014


Welcome to this us Census Bureau E-Tutorial on How to Obtain a Copy of your Census Record.

• On occasion, an individual needs to track down or establish a birth record when the traditional or normal birth certificate is lost or destroyed. The U.S. Census bureau provides an "Age Search Service" that provides legally recognized source documents for obtaining a passport or court-required documents or records. Specific census records from your childhood can serve as proof of age or citizenship. The state department recognizes certified census records as an alternative to birth certificates for passport applications. This is helpful if your birth certificate was lost or destroyed.

• Other agencies and courts also accept census records as official documents. The law protects the confidentiality of census records, and they cannot be publicly released for 72 years. However, the law also provides an exemption that allows you to obtain an official copy of your own census information, records of your minor children, or as someone’s legal heir or representative.

• This tutorial will show you how to locate and submit a request to obtain your census record using the Census Bureau’s Age Search Service. If you cannot find what you are looking for after watching this tutorial, you can contact our call center at 1-800-923-8282.


No comments: