MoSGA recognizes individuals, groups, and organizations that have put forth that extra effort to support genealogical research, activities, and publications in the Show-Me State.
We ask for your help in identifying those who should be candidates for special recognition. Neither submitters nor nominees need be members of MoSGA.
Jenna Mills, chair of the Awards Committee, says “As volunteers ourselves, we at MoSGA understand the commitment volunteers put forth throughout the year and in many instances year after year. Those volunteers and contributors are vital to the success of research and indexing projects, writing and publishing newsletters and journals as well as planning and hosting annual conferences and workshops. The genealogical community relies on these individuals and MoSGA would like to show our appreciation. I urge all Missouri societies, libraries and archives to nominate those that go the extra mile.”
There are three main categories for awards:
• Awards of Merit are presented for particularly outstanding achievements by volunteers or persons not financially compensated for their efforts. For example, nominees for Awards of Merit might be local societies and their officers, or diligent researchers, compilers, and authors.
• Certificates of Appreciation are awarded to salute those professionals who, although paid for their efforts, consistently give more than required or expected. Nominees for Certificates of Appreciation could include repositories, librarians, archivists, or governmental employees and officials.
• Directors’ Awards are presented for distinguished service over an extended period of time in support of genealogy, to be presented to an individual, group, organization or institution, for exceptional contribution to the field and extra effort to promote good will and improve service.
Additionally, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors, the President of the Association shall have the authority to designate a recipient of the President’s Award for outstanding service to genealogy in the State of Missouri.
Award recipients will be recognized and honored at the annual MoSGA Conference Awards Luncheon. Attendance is not required to receive the award, but we do hope all those selected for these special honors will make every effort to be present. Not all nominees will receive awards, as we generally present three or four in each category, but all will receive careful consideration by the committee. If a past nominee did not receive an award, please feel free to resubmit the nomination for consideration.
To make an award nomination:
1. Submit the name and address of the individual or group.
2. Include a brief summary of their accomplishments.
3. Send your nominations to MoSGA Awards, PO Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833 or email to Awards Chairman at Awards1@MoSGA.org.
The deadline for submissions is June 1, 2014.