YOU ARE VISITOR:

You are visitor:

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, May 22, 2010

CLUES IN OLD CORRESPONDENCE

Reading through previously received letters/emails may yield big dividends:

I had been into genealogy in a small way when my husband and I moved to Australia from Ireland in 1987, so I had to correspond in writing with my relatives, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

In 1990 I wrote to my aunt Rosie, my dad's youngest sister in England. I asked her to share her memories of various family members. Aunt Rosie wrote back, telling me what she could remember, although at the time a lot of it didn't make sense to me. But of course I kept her letter.

About 6 months ago I re-read that letter and lo-and-behold, the information she had given me then, now made sense to me, nearly 20 years later! In fact, because of it, I was able to trace 2 more grand-aunts, their husbands, and their 14 children. It was amazing!

Make sure to take out and reread that old correspondence now and again.

Thanks to Colette from the Canary Islands

Previously published in RootsWeb Review: 12 May 2010, Vol. 13, No. 5

No comments: