Noticed on the ENG-MANCHESTER mailing list:
“These changes are being proposed so that a 10% reduction in TNA costs can be made by March 2010 to meet operating costs.
Impact on public services at Kew:
* We are proposing to move to five-day opening by closing the reading rooms on Mondays
* We will introduce charges for use of the public car park
* We will remove selected large microfilm and microfiche records series from the reading rooms
* We will streamline copying services with the introduction of a new online request service (we will no longer operate Digital Express and estimating services)
* We will focus advice and expertise where and when it is needed, for example not providing expert staff between 17:00 and 19:00 when there is minimal demand
You can take a closer look at these proposed changes to The National Archives here.
You can provide feedback on the changes here.