“The suits described in this finding aid were brought by or on behalf of persons of color held in slavery within the St. Louis area from 1814 to 1860. These case files remain part of the larger St. Louis Circuit Court Case File Records Series and are presented here as an artificial, subject-oriented records series to facilitate research in a distinctive area of national, regional, and local history.
All records were created in the course of business by the Circuit Court, its inferior courts, and predecessors as provided for by federal and state law. Upon the separation of St. Louis City and St. Louis County as provided for in the 1875 constitution, the city retained custody of all court records previously produced. These records have remained in the custody of the St. Louis Circuit Court since that time, both in the historic Old Courthouse (constructed 1839-1852) and the Civil Courts Building (constructed in 1930). The records are now housed at the Missouri State Archives-St. Louis.”