YOU ARE VISITOR:

You are visitor:

Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

GENEALOGY THOUGHT-PROBLEM

Here's a genealogy thought-problem for the men out there:

If you had somehow met your father for the first time when the two of you were the same ages in high school, the service, or in college, do you think you would have become friends?

Your reflex answer might be, "Of course!"-- but do you REALLY think you would have?

I'm forced to conclude that my dad and I most likely would not have become friends. We shared a couple of interests-- history, drawing, reading-- but Dad was an athletic, gregarious guy who loved sports and enjoyed working with his hands. He was able to strike up a conversation with nearly anybody about nearly anything, and everybody seemed to like him (my older brother was very much like Dad). I have always been more of a brainiac and introvert, and for a long time was very much the odd man out in social situations. I like to think I've become much less introverted over the years, although I think these defining characteristics would definitely have meant that my father and the younger me would have moved in vastly different social circles.

So, I'm forced to conclude that my dad and I would not have become friends if we had first met as young men about the same age. Would you and your dad have become friends?

Note: Ladies, you can of course ask the same question about yourselves and your mothers. Feel free to send in your own reactions to this thought-problem: we'd like to know what you think!

No comments: