If you’ve been thinking about getting your feet wet in audio or video podcasting for yourself or your genealogical society (or if you simply would like to start listening to / viewing audio or video podcasts), here’s a book that may be just what you’ve been looking for:
Podcast Solutions: The Complete Guide to Audio and Video Podcast Solutions: 2nd ed. by Michael Geoghagen and Dan Klass
From the publisher's blurb:
"Are you the kind of person who's got a lot to say? Have you ever wanted to share your talents, thoughts, and opinions with others, but have lacked the broadcasting knowledge and contacts to achieve such a goal? Well, today it's well within your grasp, thanks to podcasting. Using only some simple recording equipment, a computer, and the Internet, you can record and distribute your own audio shows, including anything you want-- comedy, debate, news, reviews, interviews, music-- the only limit is your imagination. Of course, you'll need a guide to tell you what you need to know, which is where this indispensable book comes in. Inside, influential podcasters Michael Geoghegan and Dan Klass provide a comprehensive guide to receiving, recording, editing, mixing, distributing, and monetizing audio and video podcasts. Also included is a guide to what hardware and software to get, whatever your budget is, and how to make sense of all that technology. This is the guide to podcasting you're been looking for, and the only one you'll need. What you'll learn:
* How to receive podcasts - everything you need to know to find, subscribe to and receive quality shows on your iPod, computer or any other mp3 player.
How podcasting is being applied in many different industries-- entertainment, education, sales and marketing, religious study, intra-corporate communications, and more.
* How to plan and design your own top quality podcast, including expert advice on designing a show built for success.
* How to set up your "podcast studio," whether you're a casual hobbyist or a committed professional. Includes insights and buying advice on finding the right microphones, mixers, cameras, software, hardware, and more to meet your needs and fit your budget. The secrets to achieving "broadcast quality" audio and video for your show.
* How to include music, phone calls, video snippets, and feedback into your podcast inexpensively and legally.
* The techniques needed to turn your podcasts into Internet-ready audio/video files and get them out there ready to be received by your anxiously-waiting listeners/viewers, using simple hardware and software tools.
* The meaning of RSS, XML, mp3, LAME, and several other acronyms you thought you'd never understand.
* Insider's tips on creating a web presence that will enhance the popularity and professionalism of your show.
* Secrets of attracting subscribers through the creative use of directories, user groups, mailing lists and more.
* How to make money with your podcast by attracting sponsors, advertisers, and other revenue sources."
* Paperback: 275 pages
* Publisher: friends of ED; 2nd revised edition (November 19, 2007)
* Language: English
* ISBN-10: 1590599055
* ISBN-13: 978-1590599051
* Price: $24.99 ($16.49 if bought through Amazon.com)